It is recommended to divide the planning into activities. An activity is a planning element with a defined start and end date or a defined duration which is narrowed down content-wise by the underlying work packages. Please follow these steps to divide the planning into several activities:
For more information about work packages, please see the category Work packages.
Open an existing project or create a new one.
For more information on how to create a project see Create a project.
- In the project, on the Start tab, in the Section group, click Planning.
Create a planning by adding activities. In the Planning page, in the Edit group, click New Activity.
Create your planning faster by adding new activities by using the Copy and Paste feature in the Edit group.
You can also add another project element like a milestone. For more information, see Create and edit a milestone.
In the side panel, on the Edit tab, you can adjust the activity to your requirements:
- General information to the activity in the Basic information area
- In the Name box, type a name.
In the Description field enter some important information on the activity, e.g. the targeted deliverables or internal remarks.
InLoox PM provides you with a range of formatting features. For the detailed description, see Create and change comments in the Customize comments section.
- Time conditions to the activity in the Time frame area
Define its duration and dependencies regarding other planning elements.
The current date will be set by default in the new project.
Select Standard as a calendar or choose a user-defined working time calendar from the list in the Calendar box.
For more information on how to set a working time calendar, see Create a working time calendar.
- In the Duration box, enter the duration in days and enter the hours in the box on the right side.
- In the Schedule box, define the constraints of the activity. Choose between Start or End.
- The constraint As soon as possible is set up as default value for the Start and As late as possible for the End. InLoox PM will automatically display the calculated date in the Time frame section.
Choose below, if you want to set your own date and the constraints. In the drop-down list choose between On, No earlier than, No later than.
For more information about the dependency and constraints, see Create planning elements dependency.
- Processing status of the activity in the Status area
- Define the progress or activate the done check box to display the processing status of the activity.
- More information on the activity on the Advanced area
- In the Location field, enter a location.
- In the WBS code box, enter a work breakdown structure code to identify activities and milestones in large projects. In this case you can define the subsumption.
- You can use the field with the automatic WBS code in the project list.
- Add a document to the activity
- Click New link... to add the document.
In the Select Entry dialog box select one document from the list and click OK.
All displayed documents in the dialog box are saved on the Documents page. For more information on how to add the document to the project, see Create and edit a document.
- The added document ist displayed in the Document area on the side panel. Click it to open this document. Click Delete symbol to remove it.
Sending a notification to a resource
All added resources receive automatically notifications about new, edit or deleted activities.
In the area Notifications, you can inform other resources,e.g. project planner, about assigned work packages and about the changes in them.
- Click the command to add resources. In the Select Contact dialog box click on the name and then click Select and OK.
The notification will be send on the selected resource as an email, when you save and close the project.
The email notification set by default. The message contains the following planning data:
- Add Outlook tasks and appointments to the InLoox PM Planning via Drag and Drop. The duration of this new activity is an actual effort drawn from the Outlook task or the duration of the Outlook appointment.
- Select the last planning item in the planning and click ↓ on your keyboard to create a new planning item.